Engineering Manager - Civil and Earthworks
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited headquartered in Sydney, Australia is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
We are seeking an experienced, detail-oriented Engineering Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Project Director, the prime responsibility is to manage the civil and earthwork engineering activities by ensuring all technical documentation is executed in accordance with quality, budget and schedule requirements.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and direct the mobilization of civil and earthwork engineering personnel and consultants ensuring highly skilled engineers, technicians and drafts persons are in place when and as required.
- Identify and record all civil and earthwork engineering deliverables by discipline, facility or work package, timelines, budgets and schedules.
- Develop civil and earthwork project engineering procedures.
- Prepare all civil and earthwork documentations and drawings required for the execution of the project, including, but not limited to:
- Design criteria
- Preliminary studies
- Standard specifications
- Standard detail drawings
- Construction drawings
- As-built drawings
- Ensure drawings conform with engineering designs.
- Manage and coordinate the progress of the civil and earthwork engineering work in accordance with project scope, schedule and procedures.
- Monitor construction work to ensure it is executed in accordance with engineering design.
- Ensure civil and earthwork engineering work packages are on budget and on schedule, and take corrective action when and if necessary.
- Work with the Quality Manager to ensure audits of engineering work are conducted accordingly.
- Monitor to ensure that documentation and interdisciplinary coordination is carried out in accordance with Project Instructions.
- Coach and mentor team members to ensure optimal performance with a commitment to ethical and professional behaviours.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Master’s Degree in Engineering Management or Business Administration an asset
- 10+ years of engineering management experience in civil and earthworks
- Analytical, and capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
- Leadership skills necessary to manage and develop a team
- Organizational competencies and project management skills to keep projects, processes, and engineering team on track
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Interpersonal communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
This is a full-time term position, expected to run a minimum of three years, dependent on construction progress. Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.